Alexandra is doing great. She has been such a calm baby and really not doing more than sleeping and eating. She has already exceeded her birthweight.
The real problems have come for Mom, not for baby. Before I left the hospital, we noticed red welts all around where the bandage had been applied over the c-section incision. Doc said I was having an allergic reaction to the adhesive and to apply cortisone cream. First night home, itching was unbearable, so we removed the surgical tape strips over the incision. Allergic reaction there as well. Called the on-call physician who put me on Benadryl. Hello drowsiness. Nothing like trying to wake up and feed an infant every 2 hours while you are are in a Benadryl haze.
Monday went and saw Doc. She was surprised at the redness, much more than I think she expected. Put me on Zyrtec (which by the way says in large letters "DO NOT TAKE WHILE BREASTFEEDING"). Rash is spreading further by now and Doc assures me it is fine for breastfeeding so we start on Zyrtec. Next day, I notice a new rash, like hives, creeping up my stomach. By noon it is all over my torso. After another call to the doc, we are switched off Zyrtec (allergic reaction happening) to Clarinex (which of course states in large letters "DO NOT TAKE WHILE BREASTFEEDING")
So here I sit, my torso covered in a rash, itching like crazy, trying every topical cream under the sun to stop the itching, waiting for the antihistimine to stop the reaction. John just informed me that the rash has spread to my neck. I have to admit that my crazy family has sent every old folklore remedy under the sun to me in order to cure me. And I will admit, I have put banana peels across my breasts in order to stop the rash itching (didn't work, Uncle Litt) and I have placed an onion on my tummy to get some relief (didn't work, Mom) and I have slathered Pepto Bismol across my hips to make it all go away (OK, that one was actually given to me by a doctor, but it didn't work either, just painted me bright pink). Baby doesn't care and still wants to be fed every 2 hours.
Joy...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hi bonnie...your mama just gave me your blog sight. When we were in Hawaii, Tucker gave us all a gift of massages given by his two friends (both gave each of massages at the same time - totally awesome). Anyway, we didn't think about telling them of Tony's allergy to all nuts, and by the next day, he was covered with what looked like measles. We got home, and they started looking like a terrible case of poison ivy...I've been putting "Sarna" anti-itch cream on him, and finally it is drying up. (Of course, it could be the amount of time that has passed). By this time, I hope your's too has passed. The site is darling, I'll be sure to save it ! Love, Aunt Martha
Post a Comment