Monday, August 17, 2009

Bus Practice

Jack starts kindergarten in 1 week. Hard for me to fathom but his enthusiasm helps tame some of my anxiety. I have friends who tear up when they talk about their kids starting school and I am sure I will be right there with tears rolling down my face on the first day. So we're using the last month that Jack has been at home with me to practice some skills he'll need for school as well as just build excitement for him for the first day.

One of those things is taking the bus. Jack has always said he wants to take the bus to school- and since that gives me an extra hour before I have to leave the house with Alex, I'm all for it. The bus stop is right at the end of our street, but we'll have to really change our morning schedule as the bus pick-up is at the time that we are currently just getting out of bed.

So this past weekend we bought a bench and placed it on the corner. Jack and I walk out there every day to practice waiting for the bus. He loves sitting there and waving to neighbors driving by. Hopefully it will help him to feel a little familiarity on day 1. But I know it does not guarantee that there won't be some shaky knees on the first day when the big yellow bus drives up...and certainly does not guarantee Mom won't have tears rolling down her face as she waves goodbye.

1 comment:

Lainey-Paney said...

Awwwww!
You practice waiting for the bus. I love it!!!

We practiced blowing out candles before our birthday party...we put the candles in biscuits & practiced.

:)
You are soooo going to cry the 1st day.