Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A sweet, juicy day!

Sometimes you wish you could just bottle up a day and store it away!

Back in March, there was a day when it started pouring rain after I dropped the kids off at school and as I ran some errands, I thought my day would be ruined. I was picking up some things for Jack's upcoming party and planned to go by a nursery to pick up some plants for the new flower bed (aka Jack's Garden) in front so it won't look like a big mud pit when we have guests coming over next weekend. By the time I headed toward the nursery, the rain was so thick, I couldn't even see the car in front of me so I declared it a delayed trip and turned around toward home.

Well, they say if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait an hour. And an hour later we had blue skies and a beautiful breeze outside. John had come home early and I had just gotten an announcement from Sweet Barry Farms in Marble Falls that their strawberry fields were open for picking.

So we picked up the kids early from school and all played hookie to go and pick strawberries.

Now we all had different picking styles. John is a get-it-done kind of picker. He likes to get right in and fill the box up. Works down a row and back up the next. I like to dilly dally. I pick for a while and then have to stop and look around (this is why I am the photographer of the family). I eat a few, listen to sounds, find my kids and take some photos. Try to snap a photo in my mind so I can remember the moment later as I am lying in bed.

Jack likes the excitement. As he picks, he makes exclamations. "Wow, look at this one." "Whoa, that's big." "This is really the biggest one." Alex likes to be with everyone and not miss out on anything. She picks a few with John. Then she sees her Nana two rows over and runs to her for some picking. Then back to me because she must be missing out on something. Then over to her grandfather to pick with him.





So there it was, full-on strawberry picking, juice running down chins, unable to stop from eating them right off the vine. 4 full boxes later we came home to make strawberry pie at Jack's request.

How sweet it was!

1 comment:

Lainey-Paney said...

how fun.