Once there was a tree that stood tall and proud beside a riverbank. Beside her grew a small weed. The tree bragged to the weed about how big and strong she was and how the weed should be embarrassed to be so puny next to something so large. The weed answered that she was just existing where nature put her. In the rainy season, a massive flood came and the force of the waters washed away the tree. But the weed, always humble, bent flat to the ground and survived the raging waters.
Sometimes our strength is not evidenced by how tall and unbending we can stand.
I heard this story from my yoga teacher today and it immediately reminded me of the ups and downs of parenting.
How easy is it to see the tie to parenting here? Once my children were beyond breastfeeding and the infant stage, they were always looking for ways to exert their independence. The big picture tells me that this is the way they grow and learn to be their own person. But as the parent trapped in the moment, I am often pulling at my hair and wanting to yell "Because I said so, that's why!" at the incessant questions that are thrown my way about why they have to do what I say.
I have to remember that sometimes bending with the forces of nature will allow the storm to pass easier than trying to stand straight up in the onslaught.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment